Eugene High School
Newly constructed (1915) Eugene High School looking towards the main entrance from the corner of 17th Avenue and Charnelton Street. The school took up the entire block (bounded by 17th Avenue, Charnelton Street, 18th Avenue and Lincoln Street). The three-story brick building was finished in plaster. Note the wooden sidewalks in the foreground. This building replaced the first Eugene High School located at the southwest corner of 11th Avenue and Willamette Street. Although technically across the street from the FAN northern boundary, the school educated many students that lived in the Friendly neighborhood.
Paul Simon (1928-2003)
Lieutenant Governor of Illinois 1969-1973
Congressman from Illinois' 22nd District 1975-1985
United States Senator from Illinois 1985-1997
Born in Eugene, Paul's family moved to Portland before he graduated from Eugene High School. He would have been in the the class of 1945.
Garner Ted Armstrong (1930-2003)
Minister, Author, Educator, Radio and Television Commentator
Class of 1947
Cecil Andrus (1931-2017)
Governor of Idaho (1st Term) 1971-1977
United States Secretary of the Interior 1977-1981
Governor of Idaho (2nd Term) 1987-1995
Class of 1948
Eugene High School won two state basketball championships (1927, 1946). It played in state title games nine times.
Eugene High School became Woodrow Wilson Junior High School in 1952, when a new high school was built at 400 East 19th Avenue. The main building was razed in 1973. (photos courtesy of the Lane County History Museum)
The detached, former gymnasium (shown above at left) still stands on the southeast corner of the site. It has been modified to include a Mansard-type roof form. The Lighthouse Temple currently occupies the property.
Comments are closed.
Friendly Area Neighbors