Originally, the Eugene Country Club (ECC) was located on College Hill. The 9-hole course ran between 24th and 28th Avenues and Willamette and Lawrence Streets. The club was founded in 1899. It is the second-oldest country club in the state. ECC filed articles of incorporation in February of 1913. It remained on College Hill into the mid 1920's when a new 18-hole course was opened at the current location on Country Club Road.
The original course was not the verdant and manicured oasis we think of today. In reality, it was little more than a dusty pitch-and-putt without any kind of modern irrigation. The "greens" were made of sand (see picture below). It must have been a challenging course—the College Hill topography coupled with putts like this.