Timeline of Eugene and College Hill History
Eugene Downtown Core Area Historic Context Statement Planning and Development Department, City of Eugene - November 1991

1846 Arrival of Eugene F. Skinner
1847 First cabin built by Skinner

Mary Skinner, first non-native woman, arrives
1848 Lenora C. Skinner, first non-native child born

Bill creating Territory of Oregon passes U.S. Congress

Hilyard Shaw begins process of connecting two sloughs to form Millrace

Population of Eugene: approx. 150
1849 California gold rush; population of Eugene declines
1850 Skinner's Post Office established
1851 Lane County created

First survey and plat of Eugene recorded

First house built

Severe flooding in Eugene

Millrace cut

First store opened by James Huddleston
1852 Eugene area established as county seat

Sawmill built on Millrace
1853 "Eugene City" chosen as name by Mary Skinner, becomes county seat

Revised town plat

Merchandise store opens

Land from Skinner and Charnel Mulligan added to city
1854 Sidewheelers used on Willamette River between Portland and Eugene

School districts organized in Lane County
1855 Population of Eugene reaches 200

Territorial Road built on west side of valley

First stage coach reaches town at one per week

Columbia College established on College Hill

First Lane County Courthouse built
1856 First Public School established
1858 First newspaper "The News"
1859 Oregon granted statehood

Masonic Cemetery (25th and University) dedicated
1861-65 Civil War
1861 Extreme flooding: 100 year flood
1862 Eugene City incorporated (Act approved 1864)

Homestead Act

Hilyard Shaw dies at age 62
1863 Morrill Act creating land grant colleges
1864 First City Charter adopted

Eugene Skinner first Mayor

Railroad survey from Jacksonville to Portland
1866 David Cherry Furniture Factory built by Millrace
1867 First edition of "Eugene Guard"
1871 Oregon and California (O&C) railroad tracks from Portland reach Eugene

Willamette Street graded and gas lights installed
1872 University of Oregon created by State Legislature
1873 I.O.O.F. Cemetery (18th and University) dedicated
1874 Bridge built to connect Eugene and Springfield
1875 No Avenues south of 11th

Alder Street county road heading south

Telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell
1876 University of Oregon opens; Deady Hall completed

Ferry Street Bridge built
1878 First class graduates from University
1880 Population of Eugene reaches 1433

Incandescent lamp invented by Thomas A. Edison
1881 Haines tannery built between 8th and 9th

Major flooding, Willamette bridge washed out
1882 Woolen mill built on Millrace
1883 First City Hall erected

Cider and Vinegar Mill built (betw. 8th and 9th on Patterson)

First trees planted on University of Oregon campus

First banks established in Eugene
1884 Eugene population reaches 2,000

First recreational use of Millrace: ice skating

First Lane County Fair

Eugene Register first edition

Water works chartered
1885 Second County Courthouse erected

Villard Hall built on University of Oregon campus
1887 Electric lighting system introduced
1888 Name changed to Eugene
1890 Last of Indian wars; Sioux at Wounded Knee

Eugene population reaches 2478

College Hill Park subdivision of old Eben Stewart farm, by LC and JF Atherton
1891 Eugene and College Hill Street Railway operation begins (horse-drawn) down Willamette to "College Hill Park"

Major flood changes Willamette River's course

Millrace polluted by University, houses and two tanneries

Hendricks Addition to College Hill Park subdivision, by TG Hendricks, WG and James Hoffman, L. Bilyeu, and AG Woodcock
1892 College Hill advertised as "Knob Hill" of Eugene
1893 Panic of 1893
1894 Eugene's First Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, 25 customers
1895 Spanish-American War started

Eugene Divinity School (Northwest Christian College) opens
1898 Spanish-American War ended

Hawaii annexed by U.S.

Eugene's first hospital started by Dr. Kuykendall and others
1899 New Courthouse dedicated

Street paving (through 1908)

Rental property in great demand throughout Eugene
1900 Eugene population reaches 3,236

Eugene and College Hill Railway sold, ceases operation
1901 House numbering ordinance passed
1902 17 Professors at University of Oregon

Hendricks Addition subdivision, by TG and Martha Hendricks
1903 College Hill Park and Fairmount annexed to city
1904 First automobile in city

Blue River mines boom
1905 First canoe on Millrace

Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland
1906 Four automobiles in city

T.G. Hendricks donates 10 acres of land for a park
1907 Electric street car begins

Eugene General Hospital built at 21st and Willamette (called Mercy Hospital in 1912, demolished about 1938)

Willamette Street paved
1908 Eugene Public Library starts operation

Hill Crest subdivision by EO Potter and MJ Duryea

Walnut Park subdivision, by JJ, DA, DL and AA Harden, WC and VB Lyons

Eugene Fruit Growers Association formed

Public water and electric utilities approved by voters
1909 Railroad depot and park built

Hendricks 2nd Amended Addition subdivision, by TG and Martha Hendricks

Lizzie Luckey subdivision, by JS Luckey

Maple Croft Addition subdivision, by George and Grace Humphrey

Jefferson St. paved with crushed rock from 13th to College Hill, South Willamette from 7th to 20th

Paving and lighting on W 20th from Willamette to olive by Hill Crest Co., gas main extended from Hill Crest to west side of College Hill
1910 College Hill Loop of street car begins service

Population of Eugene: 9009

Edblom's Addition subdivision, by Peder and Jennie Ophus

Improvements to Hendricks Addition and Lizzie Luckey subdivisions- crushed rock paving, concrete sidewalks, gas and water service (Willamette, Olive, Charnelton and Lincoln from 18th to 19th)

Grading Washington St. on College Hill and Willamette beyond 20th
1911 EWEB organized

Housing Shortage
1912 Melrose subdivision, by Ervin and Rosa Hughs and Sam and Lottie Rugh
1913 Street addresses renumbered

Hollenbeck Addition subdivision, by George and Zuda Midgeley, HF and Rose Hollenbeck
1914 Sewer system completed

Park Board beautifies, plants Skinners Butte

World War I started
1915 Concrete sidewalks required

College Hill Reservoir built just south of neighborhood

52 Professors at University of Oregon

Rugh's Addition subdivision, by Sam and Lottie Rugh
1916 Producer's Public Market

Railroad to coast completed
1917 UO football team goes to Rosebowl
1918 Armistice ends World War I
1919 Eugene Municipal Airport contructed
1922 County Fairgrounds purchased within Eugene city limits

Eugene Hospital and Clinic started

Rugh's Second Addition subdivision, by Sam and Lottie Rugh
1924 Street paving: Charnelton St from 17th to 24th, McMillan from 22nd to 24th, Olive from 17th to 24th, Washington St. from 13th to 19th, 20th W from Charnelton to Lincoln, 22nd W from McMillan to Charnelton
1925 Amazon project, ditch excavated

Street paving: Charnelton St from 17th to 24th, 19th W from Willamette to Lincoln, 20th W from Charnelton to Lincoln
1926 National agricultural prices fall sharply
1927 Street car service ends

Southern Pacific operates buses in place of street cars

Streetcar tracks to Springfield torn up

Eugene rails taken up, no more cars

Broadway renamed from 9th Avenue

Street paving: McMillan St from 21st to 22nd, 22nd W from Willamette to McMillan; Lincoln St to be graded and gravelled from 22nd to 23rd, 22nd W to be graded and gravelled from Charnelton to Washington

Skinner Butte Reservior begins service
1929 Stock Market crash

Very Little Theater established
1930 Eugene Guard combined with Eugene Register

30 Fraternities/Sororities at University of Oregon

Eugene population reaches 18,900

UO Art Museum building completed
1931 Office of Chancellor of State System of Higher Education moves to Eugene
1937 Threat of logging spurs "Save Spencer Butte" group
1938 Alpha Place Addition subdivision, by JTS Lyle and Anna E Langlow

Post Office built at 5th and Willamette
1939-45 World War II
1940 Eugene population reaches 20, 838

Willamette Highway to California opens

First parking meters introduced downtown
1941 U.S. enters war
1941-50s Lumber replaces agriculture as major industry
1943 Mahlon Sweet Airport built
1945 Eugene triples in size after WW II
1948 Zoning Ordinance adopted by City
1950 Ferry Street Bridge rebuilt

Millrace polluted open sewer
1955 50-year flood
1958 1899 Courthouse, City Hall, Old Post Office, Public Market and Osborne Hotel demolished
1959 New Lane County Courthouse constructed
1960 Eugene population reaches 50,977
1962 New City Hall constructed

Valley River Shopping Center constructed* (this date has been called into question)
1965 Lower Millrace filled in to Ferry Street
1967 Willamette Greenway established

Washington-Jefferson Street Bridge built