A historical timeline of events related to Willamette Street, the College Hill Loop of the Portland, Eugene, & Eastern (PG&E) Street Railway, the Oregon Electric railway, and other items of interest in and around Eugene, Oregon circa 1910-1915

1871
Tracks from the Oregon & California railroad from Portland reach Eugene. Willamette Street is also reported to have been graded and gas lights installed.
1891
The Eugene & College Hill Street Railway is operating. It was mule-drawn. The line was sold in 1900 and soon ceased operation. The tracks are reported to have been removed in 1903.
circa 1902/1903
Hill Crest columns erected at 20th Avenue and Willamette Street
1906
First automobile reported in Eugene, OR
1907
Eugene General Hospital built
1907
Paving of Willamette Street from the Southern Pacific Terminal to 11th Avenue was completed by the Warren Construction Company
1907
Electric Streetcars begin operating in Eugene
December 2, 1909
The Eugene Weekly Guard reports "Good Prospects for Car Line to South of City"

"A prominent member of the newly organized South Eugene Improvement Club is authority for the statement that the officials of the Portland, Eugene & Eastern Railway Co. have given the club assurances that a street car line will be built out South Willamette street and to the southern part of the city early next year.

The company is now assembling materials, such as copper trolley wire and other minor articles, for the beginning of construction work on various proposed extensions, including the line in the valley between Eugene and Junction City, and it is thought that as soon as good weather opens up in the spring, or perhaps before, operations will be commenced on a larger scale.

J.O. Storey, president of the railway company, owns a large track of land bordering on the city to the southwest, and while the line is being built out south Willamette street it may be extended to Mr. Storey's track and the land placed on the market. This tract lies on a sloping hill and would make splendid residence property if tapped by a car line.

The building of the line to South Eugene will mean a boom in property out there, especially on College Hill and at Hill Crest."
July 28, 1910
The Eugene Daily Guard reports "Two Big Cars Here for P.E. & E. Railway - Came in Last Evening from Spokane, Where they Were Fixed Up for Local Line

The two big cars for the local lines of the P.E. & E. that have been expected for a long time arrive on the through freight from the north last evening about 6 o'clock, and are being unloaded from the S.P. cars today by Superintendent of Construction Baker and a force of men.

The two cars are of the same pattern as the two small cars recently received, but much larger. Each is about thirty feet long and each is open at both ends. The state inside are the same as those in the first cars used on the local line and each car has a seating capacity of about sixty people, although a hundred or more could crowd in. They are some longer than the two enclosed cars now in use on the line. This makes seven "passenger" cars now here. There would have been eight had not one of the old cars been sent to Salem recently.

These cars, as well as the two smaller ones of the same type, come from Spokane, where they were in use for a number of years, but were thoroughly overhauled and fitted up for the local line. They are nice looking and will doubtless be serviceable for years, despite the fact that they have been used for a long time.

Now that the news cars have come and the College Hill lop is completed, service over the loop will probably be inaugurated about Sunday."
Sunday, July 31st, 1910
The Eugene Daily Guard, Special Edition reports "Service Over New Railway Loop has Begun - Twelve Hundred Passengers Carried on Line Sunday - Half-hour Service Now

Street car service on the new College Hill loop was inaugurated yesterday. Only one car was run and that not until late in the morning, yet, just 1200 people made the circuit around the southern part of the city. Hereafter the car will be run on regular half-hour schedule. The first car will leave the depot at 6:30 a.m. and they will run every half hour thereafter until 10 p.m. The fare around the loop is ten cents, but transfers are issued for the first fare from any other line or to any other part of the city.

Eugene now has quite a street car service, for there are some 14 miles operated, including the Springfield line. There are four regular cars running, two to Springfield, one one the Fairmount loop, and one on the College Hill line. The regular pay roll of the company in Eugene is now $2347 a month, and will soon be up to the $3000 mark. This includes section men who look after cars and track. The total pay roll of the P.E.&E. in Eugene for July amounted to $12,000, but the most of this was for work on the new loop.

Yesterday's car service was pretty heavy on the power, and the four cars with the steep grades on both the College Hill and Fairmount loops were a little too much for the current that the generator in the car barn supplies, and the circuit breaker was frequently blow out. This caused delays and the schedule was difficult to keep. The crowds on the College Hill line were so heavy and the stops so many that it was impossible to make the circuit in half an hour and this also interfered with the schedule of the other cars.

The loop for the northwestern part of the city, known as the Fifth street loop, has temporarily been given up, and several carloads of rails and other construction material and trolley wire, also the construction crews, are being shipped to Salem, where work will be done on the company's line there, extending it to the state fair grounds."

A partial list of known streetcar stations:

College Crest Station (28th & Friendly, Transportation to College Crest in 1918)
Arcadia Station (28th & Madison, Transportation to College Crest in 1918)
Sunset Station (28th & Jefferson, Transportation to College Crest in 1918)
Orswell Station (29th & Willamette, Transportation to College Crest in 1918)
Howe Station (Willamette & ?, Eugene Daily Guard, January 8, 1913)
House Station (11th & ?, Eugene Daily Guard, January 8, 1913)
Belmont Station (on a curve of College Hill line, Eugene Daily Guard, April 17, 1915)
January 29, 1912
P.E.&E. announces issuance of $10,000,000 bonds for construction of new lines
February 24, 1912
P.E.&E. asks franchises for extensions of system in Eugene
date here
description here
date here
description here
March 2, 1912
Reported that 23 property owners/farmers along the proposed Santa Clara streetcar route petition county court to permit the franchise down river road.
March 11, 1912
Oregon Electric gets last piece of land for Eugene depot.
March 12, 1912
P.E.&E. places large force of men at work building new lines in city, doubling track Blair and Eighth streets.
March 15, 1912
P.E.&E. announces double track for Eleventh street and Willamette Street.
March 21, 1912
Sisters of Mercy purchase Eugene General Hospital in (founded 1907). It is renamed Mercy Hospital. Oregon Electric lets contracts for bridges.
March 25, 1912
P.E.&E. buys Methodist church property for terminals; wants whole block.
April 2, 1912
S.P. and O.E. come to agreement with reference to railroad crossings.
April 3, 1912
Work begins installing city lamps on Willamette Street.
April 15, 1912
P.E.&E. buys Gordon property to add to its terminal yards.
April 20, 1912
City street lights turned on.
May 3, 1912
Reported "West Eighth street is again a scene of great activity, the Portland, Eugene & Eastern Railway company having placed a crew of fifty men at work tearing up the pavement again for the double track on that street." It goes on to describe "Enough rails are in this shipment to complete the track on Eighth street, and after it is laid the crew will work on the double track on Blair Street from Eighth to the city limits."
May 10, 1912
Notice that "Electric Railway is Wanted" and announcement of a scheduled, meeting of "citizens of Pleasant Hill, Goshen, Dexter, Trent, Cloverdale, Jasper, and surrounding country" to discuss "promoting an electric railway line from Eugene, to Dexter, in Lane county, Oregon"
May 14, 1912
Ownership of Pacific Great Western by the Southern Pacific officially admitted after being many times stated in the Guard.
May 17, 1912
Guard announces sale of Welch interest in P.E.&E. to Southern Pacific.
May 18, 1912
Reported double track on West 11th from Willamette to city limits.
May 18, 1912
P.E.&E. adds old Christian church site to terminals; also Green and Ball properties.
May 20, 1912
Reported S.P. purchase of controlling interest in P. E. & E.
May 21, 1912
Reported "South Willamette Street Muddle Causes Suit" over gravel.
May 23, 1912
Reported "P.E. & E. Buys More Property for it's Depots
May 27, 1912
Reported "P. E. & E. to Enter Portland at Once"
May 28, 1912
Reported that "The Clarke & Henery company has the contract to lay asphalt pavement between the rails of the P. E. & E. wherever the lines are rebuilt in this city hereafter, and this is quite a contract itself."
May 30, 1912
Reported that "P.E.& E. to Enter Portland at Once" and that in Corvallis, the company has "begun construction of a streetcar line, the first in that city." Article goes on to say that in Eugene the company "is double-tracking its principal lines and building several miles of new ones."
June 3, 1912
Reported City and PE&E in dispute over Matlock Corner at 8th & Willamette. Advertisements for Lawndale Acres.
June 5, 1912
Reported "Oregon Electric Blocked by PE&E" in Albany.
June 6, 1912
Reported "The Portland, Eugene & Eastern began construction yesterday of an electric line between Canby and Molalla, a distance of 10 miles. The line will connect with the company's main line that will tap the Willamette valley from Eugene to Portland."
June 10, 1912
Big excursion to Oakridge, Eugene decorates cars of officials of Hill lines at Portland with roses. Oregon Electric stakes out freight depot.
June 14, 1912
Reported "The old trolley car received by the P. E. & E. a few days ago is being fitted up to haul construction cars on the new lines. It contains a motor and a trolley will be rigged up. Once of the company's flat cars arrived this morning from Corvallis to be used in the work here."
June 15, 1912
Reported "The P. E. & E. flat car which arrived from Corvallis yesterday was placed on the tracks this morning."
June 17, 1912
Reported "The P.E. & E. company today began the work of cutting the pavement on East Eleventh street for the double track which is to be laid there. The rails taken up from the old track will be used on Blair street."
June 17, 1912
Reported "The flat bed trolley car which arrived for the P.E. & E. a few days ago, is now in commission on the new line on Eighth street. Workmen are getting the trolley wire in shape for operation. As soon as the crossings and switches are temporarily installed at Eighth and Willamette streets, work cars will be put on the Eighth and Blair street lines and a passenger service installed soon afterward."
June 17, 1912
Reported Clark & Henery Construction Company has several street paving contracts and working all over the city including West 7th, E 13th, Fairmount Blvd, E 8th.
June 18, 1912
Reported that "it is the intention of the company (PE&E) to reconstruct the College Hill and Fairmount lines in order to use large, comfortable cars on all parts of the system..."
June 18, 1912
Reported that city council unanimously passes resolution that "no more streets be tore up till work finished."
June 21, 1912
Reported "Clark & Henery Co. Paving Plant will Start Up Tomorrow". "Everything is in readiness at the big asphalt paving plant of the Clark & Henery Construction company at the foot of East Ninth street for the beginning of active operations in this city tomorrow, providing that the weather is good...The first paving to be laid will be placed between the rails of the P.E. & E.'s new tracks on Willamette street."
June 21, 1912
Reported "Car Service on 8th and Blair Lines"
June 22, 1912
Reported "The P.E.&E. rushed the work at Eighth and Willamette streets today, and succeeded in laying the curve track connecting the Willamette and Eighth street tracks. The work train will now be able to go out Blair street to haul off the dirt. The space between the rails of the temporary tracks just laid will be covered with ties and planks until the permanent tracks are put down."
June 22, 1912
Reported Saturday that "The paving scene at the north end of Willamette street today looked like old times. The Clark & Henery Construction company began the work this morning of relaying the pavement between the rails of the street railway tracks."
June 24, 1912
Reported "Work to Start Soon on Eugene-Monroe Electric Railway - Corvallis, Or., June 21. - The Portland, Eugene & Eastern is proceeding steadily with the rebuilding of the Corvallis-Monroe electric road. New ties and 75-pound tails are being laid, and the track is being ballasted and put in first class shape. This work is preliminary to the Monroe-Eugene extension, which will be commenced as soon as the present road is reconstructed. Enough 75-pound rails have been ordered to complete this extension. It is said that the contract will be let very soon, and that it is likely to go to the Manning company, which has just been awarded the contract for building the P.E. & E.'s Molalla branch."
June 25, 1912
"Difficult Work on the Oregon Electric" between Junction City and the Willamette River across the flood lands.
June 27, 1912
Reported discussion of a Eugene to Creswell electric railway.
June 27, 1912
Reported "P. E. & E Files its Extension Papers" - "Salem, Or., June 20. - The Portland, Eugene & Eastern has filed with the Secretary of State a certificate of the extension of the terminus of its line from this city, and it eventually means that the line will go into Portland. The certificate shows that the company intends to build its line from here to Canby, passing through Molalla and Silverton. The line, it is said, has been surveyed, and representatives of the company are now engaged in purchasing the right of way. Representatives of the company have admitted that the line will be extended from Canby to Portland, but whether it will enter the city by the east or west side has not yet been determined."
June 28, 1912
Reported "Effort to be made to Widen West 8th Street" - "G.G. Gross and others are endeavoring to have West Eighth street, between Charnelton and Blair, widened several feet. At the present time the width between the curbs is only 33 feet, and with the double tracks of the P. E. & E., which were recently built, the street is considered too narrow for safe team traffic.
June 28, 1912
Reported "Big Plans for S.P. Co. Electric Railways" and an extensive article with visions of extended electric railways in the Willamette Valley and "Gigantic electric railway terminals embracing a modern skyscraping office building covering a full city block in the heart of the business district, a mammoth steel bridge across the Willamette river, a four-track system between Oswego and Aurora, electrification of 340 miles of railroad, employment of more than 3000 men in construction work, erection of huge carshops giving steady employment to many hundreds..."
June 29, 1912
Reported "The Clark & Henery surfacing crew is working on Willamette street today patching places where the pavement seems to be inferior and where there are depressions. It appears as if this pavement is not up to standard. It has a rather rough surface, whereas that laid on East Ninth and East Tenth streets by the company last fall is very smooth.
July 1, 1912
Reported that Robert E. Strahorn, head of the Southern Pacific electric railways in Oregon, traveled to Eugene to "inspect the lines of the Portland, Eugene & Eastern, which have recently been taken over by the Southern Pacific company." The article goes on to report "The Santa Clara branch will be built just as soon as the large construction force is through rebuilding the East Thirteenth street track, and as soon as the new track on West Eighth and Franklin streets is finished, this is to be the line to Springfield."
July 8, 1912
Portland, Eugene & Eastern begins work on the short line to Springfield on East Eleventh street.
July 13, 1912
RP.E.&E. opens construction engineers' department in Eugene
July 15, 1912
Oregon Electric graders reach city limits
July 24, 1912
Country club purchases grounds.
August 2, 1912
Auto fire engine arrives in Eugene
August 10, 1912
Mark Woodruff, publicity manager of the Portland, Eugene & Eastern announces that the company will erect a large central station in Eugene on the plan of that of Los Angeles from which all cars on all lines will start.
September 27, 1912
Thirteen cars of ties arrive for the Portland, Eugene & Eastern line of Monroe
October 1, 1912
Oregon Electric train in town setting poles.
October 4, 1912
Robert E. Strahorn, president of the P.E.&E., predicts 100 trains a day in all directions from Eugene within a year, speaking at dinner in his honor by commercial club.
October 7, 1912
Gang of boy burglars captured near Springfield.
October 15, 1912
Great Oregon Electric parade which took more than an hour to pass given point. Hundreds of floats in line. One thousand visitors from Albany and 10,000 from other towns and cities.
October 17, 1912
Oregon Electric begins regular passenger service.
October 28, 1912
Two new cars for the P.E.&E.
November 14, 1912
Construction of Oregon Electric car barns and workshops begins.
November 20, 1912
Springfield gets through train promised by S.P. in the spring.
November 23, 1912
First five cars of steel for P.E.&E. Monroe line arrive and construction of track on Willamette Pacific right of way begun.
November 28, 1912
Bridge material arrives for Willamette - Pacific (Coos Bay line) Trail load of gravel arrives for P.E.&E. Monroe line.
December 2, 1912
Nine cars of rails arrive for Coos Bay line. I.W.W. calls strike on P.E.&E.
December 5, 1912
First freight shipment over Oregon Electric
December 20, 1912
Portland, Eugene & Eastern and Willamette-Pacific reach agreement with county courts in regard to road crossings. Southern Pacific case on Jasper road discussed for settlement but not disposed of.
December 30, 1912
Boiler of heater in Oregon Electric car explodes near Eugene, wrecking car, but crew and passengers miraculously escape.
January 1, 1913
The Eugene Daily Guard, Special Edition reports "Portland Eugene and Eastern - Grade is Thrown Up and Rails Are Being Laid Through Fertile Territory" by Mark Woodruff

"Playing peek-a-boo with prosperity is passed in the Willamette valley, and especially in the vicinity of Eugene, the railroad center of the southern extremity thereof. There might have been a time when people were indifferent concerning the accumulation of wealth and the development of a district that could live inside a surrounding stone wall, but with the coming of electricity as a means of transportation, Lane county and her capital city have begun a forward movement in step with every other portion of the fertile area between Portland and this city. During the coming five years the tramp of hundreds of thousands of people will be timed to the music played by present railroad development.

The part that the Portland, Eugene & Eastern railway is to play in this assault on the future is expected to be that which has followed the advent of interurban electric lines at Toledo, Columbus, Detroit, Indianapolis and Los Angeles, cities that stand first in gains of population, as returned by the last census, and which are centers for rural districts that show corresponding increases. In those districts the people have followed the railroads.

Los Angeles, for instance, had a population of 200,000 when the first 10 miles of interurban road was constructed in 1893. Today that city has 1000 miles of interurban road and a population of 1,000,000 people within a radius of 50 miles. Its interurban cars, made up in 2000 trains, deliver 200,000 people at the central station of Los Angeles every day of the year. Where there was a sparsely settled rural district a few years ago there are now thousands of villages, small farms and homes along the right of way make a trip over the lines of that company appear like a stroll through a village street; and every portion of the district is in touch with the things of social and educational value that make life worth living.

The plans of the Portland, Eugene & Eastern railway to gridiron the Willamette valley with electrical lines are now actually under way, work being in progress in grading, electrification of old steam roads, and in bridge building, and in their consumation this company will qualify as the developer of at least two sections of the great agricultural valley which heretofore been retarded in growth because of inadequate transportation facilities.

Portland is at the northern end of the system, Eugene at the south. The company will give three distinct routes for the traveler to choose from in leaving Portland. The main lines will come south by way of Oregon city and Canby to Salem, taking in all the cities between, and diverging at points to afford farming districts a convenient method of reaching markets. From Portland the first 20 miles southward will be double tracked to avoid congestion of cars and consequent delay in reaching and departing from the chief city of Oregon. The second way to get out of Portland will be over the old west side road of the Southern Pacific. This road is being electrified and passes through Hillsboro and Forest Grove to McMinnville. The third route out of Portland is via the old Yamhill branch to McMinnville, where it forms a junction with the west side line and proceeds south to Jefferson. The main line, makes a cut off to Jefferson and then the system proceeds southward to Eugene, via Albany and Corvallis.

Aside from the main line, numerous cut-offs and small lines to afford shipping facilities, the P.E. & E. will have builded two new lines in completing the system thus outlines, the total giving the Willamette valley a total of 340 miles of electric road. The first new line is that which is diverted at Canby and swings around through Molalla valley, via Liberal, Molalla and Marquam to Silverton, thence to Salem. The Molalla country was settled by the pioneers of the late 40's, a large portion of its cleared of timber, and later allowed to acquire a second growth of trees because of the slowness with which home seekers came to the west coast and the fact that the descendants of the pioneers finding a small amount of land ample for the needs of producing a living for a family. The first owners accumulated a competence and are still in possession. The valley boasts a rich and fertile soil, the low lands being splendidly suited to dairying, berrying and gardening, while the rolling hills are producing as noble orchards as a spraying machine ever inoculated with lime and sulphur. Its climate is mild, it never freezes in winter, while just to the east lie the snow-clad peaks of the Cascade mountains, destined to be play grounds for a large portion of the state, and which afford most enjoyable fishing and hunting. This district is only 30 miles from Portland, and while it has few settlers at this time the cheap prices placed upon its lands will prove irresistible.

The second new line opens that garden spot of the world, the district between Corvallis and Eugene, with Monroe as a central point. Next the river are found the dairy and berry lands, while rolling hills are of the red shot soil that is as gratefully received by orchardists as rain to a Kansas wheat field in droughty years. it is a thinly settled country, and the reason is that the lands are mostly held by the heirs of the donation land claim settlers of early years. There are no pool people there. They have made money in their isolation from markets. No better recommendation of the character of the country could be desired.

The division which will serve this Corvallis-Monroe-Eugene section will reach the Bellefountain and the Alsea valleys, as well as the great belts of timber lying between the Willamette valley and the coast.

On all these lines the Portland, Eugene & Eastern will place equipment that will be the highest type of construction. Its passenger cars are to be of solid steel, carrying the Pantagraph trolley connection instead of dangerous poles and ropes. The Pantagraph makes a disconnection with the power line an impossibility and adds materially to the safety of the car. Each car will also carry the "dead man" control, a scheme by which trains are automatically brought to a standstill should the motorman be incapacitated for any reason.

At Salem and Eugene this interurban service will be bettered by the erection of grand central stations, on the lines of that operated at Los Angeles. The P.E.&E. being the owner and operator of the street car systems of those cities it will be able to carry a passenger from the front door of his house to the front door of destination without getting out from under a roof. The company also owning the street car systems at Albany and Corvallis it is expected that those cities will be adequately served with depot facilities.

For handling the business of the farmer the P.E.&E. will construct stations at every point where shipping is accumulated, and it is promised that the operations of this road will literally make the markets 30 minutes from the farm.

The spending of $12,000,000 in the completion of this work by one year from today is expected to provide the inducements for home building upon which bondholders of the company are building their hopes of future dividends. They are inducements which make farm life attractive. It will bring the six big colleges of the valley in touch with the lives of the children of the farm, its express, passenger and mail services adding many luxuries to isolation and bringing the hum of a busy world to ears that have been attuned to silence. Every portion of the great Willamette valley will be within 30 minutes touch with every other portion. And this work is being accomplished as fast as men and money can perform it. It is not a dream of the future. It is the most important electrical development under way in the United States today, and when it is realized that the northwest is considered the only portion of this republic where homes may be secured at small cost and where a splendid living is the reward of industry the dreams of a great metropolis at Eugene seem capable of realization."
January 1, 1913
Reported that during the past year (1912), paving of Willamette Street from 13th to "Hospital Road" was completed or under construction by the Clark & Henery Construction Company according to a Eugene Daily Guard advertisement. According to a May 1924 Plan of Willamette Street Paving from Hospital Drive to the South City Limits, Hospital Road or Drive was located on the west side of Willamette near to current day Grandview.
January 2, 1913
"Will Lay Heavy Steel on South Willamette Street - The Portland, Eugene & Eastern will shortly commence the laying of the heavy steel they have on hand for street railway work on South Willamette street. The laying of the steel on West Eleventh is now almost finished and when the crew is done there this work will be taken up. It will naturally interfere somewhat with the traffic, but a stub car will be run from Beacon street back and forth to Howe station to connect with the regular cars, which will be fun that far and back out and back by way of West Eleventh. It will not take long to put down the steel so that the service will not be thus interrupted any great length of time."
January 5, 1913
"Brings Shipment of Stock Over Oregon Electric - William Sleuding, who lives on the river road has returned from Washington with some fine young registered Holstein stock. This is the first shipment of live stock to come to Eugene over the Oregon Electric."
January 7, 1913
"Street Car off the Track - The big open car used as a trailer, which is being used by the P.E. & E. for hauling construction material through the streets, was derailed on the curve going from Willamette street to West Eighth yesterday morning and it took some time to get it back on the track again. It cut the paving quite badly but it will be easily repaired when the weather warms up."
January 8, 1913
"Cars Designated - The street cars now bear new signs that enable people to distinguish them."
January 8, 1913
"P.E. & E. Starts Work on South Willamette Street - A crew of men were started to work yesterday excavating and getting ready to prepare roadbed and lay the heavy steel on South Willamette street. They worked until noon when the heavy rain set in and they were forced to lay off. The work will be started again as soon as the weather is at all suitable."
January 8, 1913
"Temporary Service on College Hill Loop - On account of the improvements being made on the car track on South Willamette street, the cars will not run clear around the loop. The cars will leave at the regular hours as usual and will run only on West eleventh street to House station where they will stop and come back the same way they went out. A stub car will be run from Howe station to where the work is being prosecuted on South Willamette and back again to Howe to meet the next car. This will probably be kept up for the next three weeks or until the track is all in and the roadbed concreted. People living on South Willamette street will be the hardest hit by the arrangement and there will be considerable walking done. The first two trips of the stub car coming in from Howe will be made clear through as the workmen will not start until 7 a.m.
January 14, 1913
"Making Good Progress on South Willamette Street - The old railroad track on South Willamette street has all been taken up between Thirteenth and Sixteenth and a good portion of the new track has been pout down. As soon as the concreting is done the track will be ready for use again. The track from Sixteenth will not be laid until the paving is laid next spring and the track from eleventh to Thirteenth will not be torn up to lay the heavier steel until Spring comes.
January 15, 1913
"May Put in Extra Track - Engineer Smithwick, of the P.E. & E. says an ...(illegible)...made to get the city's consent to lay an extra track on the (illegible) west of the present tracks while the concreting is being done so that the cars on the College Crest line may make their complete trip.
March 1, 1913
The hydraulic elevator at Mercy hospital is removed. Temporary staircase built
January 17, 1914
"Nearly a mile of four-inch main for South Willamette Street, announced some time ago, will be laid within the next few weeks. If weather permits, construction will commence early next week. This main will supply houses along this street as far as the city limits. (Note: The southern city limits in 1914 are believed to have been at 19th Avenue. This article also appears April 17, 1914.
April 8, 1914
"Hospital Closed Today - The Eugene hospital was closed today for repairs, and when it re-opens in the course of several weeks, it will open as a private hospital. Mabel Leap, Martha Hannum, Pearl Pogue and Alfa Gardiner, nurses at the Eugene hospital, have left for Portland, where they will enter the Multnomah county hospital."
April 13, 1914
"Two Building Permits Issued - ...Dr. William Kuykendall will build a $400 addition to the Eugene hospital."
April 23, 1914
"Excavating 30-feet Drive - Workmen at the Oregon Electric Station are excavating a thirty-foot drive which is to extend all the way around the new station, with an entrance on Fifth avenue and one on Willamette street. A concrete entrance will be built on Willamette street. That on Fifth avenue is already in. The gravel drive adjoining the freight warehouse, now used by the hotel buses and cabs, will be removed, and a lawn planted there. The gravel will be moved into the excavation now being made."
April 23, 1914
"Marble workers are doing the finishing work on the Hope Abbey mausoleum under construction in the Masonic cemetery south of Eugene, and the building will be completed within two or three weeks according to the builders."
April 23, 1914
"Electric Elevator for Ax Billy - A new electric elevator has been installed by Schaefers Brothers to replace the old hydraulic conveyance. This runs from the basement to the second floor, and eliminates the trouble caused by frequent reduction in water presser."
April 24, 1914
"Negro Evangelist Attracts - A negro evangelist, with a dark color and a heavy rich voice, attracted considerable attention as he sand and spoke at the corner of Eighth and Willamette streets this afternoon. He could be heard for blocks."
April 25, 1914
Plan to Build Motorspeedway with Mile Track - Eugene Motorcycle Club working to Introduce Series of Races here. - Would compete with Portland and Seattle".
April 25, 1914
"Oregon Electric Officials in Town Today Announce Completion of Building."
May 2, 1914
New Hoffman hotel opens at 9th & Willamette Street "Over 3500 candlepower in the light of the marquis formed a brilliantly lighted entrance."
May 4, 1914
"House Nearly Finished - The residence of Robert Vitus on South Willamette street is almost completed and today the Comet Electric company is installing the electric lights."
May 8, 1914
"Work has started this afternoon by the Portland, Eugene and Eastern to lay Belgian blocks about the car tracks at the intersection of Eighth and Willamette Street. A crew of ten men are at work and it will take a week or ten days to complete the work. Half the street will be kept closed at once. The crew commenced on Eighth, and will close the other streets in succession as work is finished...When the street was paved the pavement was laid up against the rails. The traffic has cut the soft asphalt away leaving deep ruts which interferes with traffic, and which occasionally tears off automobile wheels. The Belgian blocks are made of stone cut by hand."
May 8, 1914
"Will Spend $1000 on Hospital - A building permit was taken today by William Kuykendall for repairs to the Eugene hospital building on Willamette street. The work will cost $1000, and is in addition to the work for which a permit was taken several weeks ago."
May 11, 1914
"Driver Did Not Stop - An effort is being made to learn the name of the motorist who failed to stop Saturday night after he ran down a small boy on Willamette street between Eighth and Ninth avenues. The youngster was struck by the car and knocked down. He passed between the wheels, but was not run over by them, and he suffered no injuries. He was taken into a drug store and treated by a physician."
May 21, 1914
"Installs Outdoor Police Phone - The city yesterday installed an outdoor phone booth at the corner of Tenth and Willamette streets to be used by the night policemen in answering calls."
June 10, 1914
"Repairing Holes on Willamette Street - The Warren Construction company today placed a crew of men at work repairing the holes in the pavement on Willamette street as announced yesterday by Mr. Sherridan."
June 10, 1914
"Guy Wire Delays Car Service - A broken guy wire attached at one end to the street car trolley wire, the other on the ground between the car tracks, delayed car service for ten minutes on Willamette street between Eighth and Ninth at 5:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon. The carmen were not inclined to want to take hold of the loose wire, and it hung there despite the fact that it had an insulator in the center of it, while the car men speculated. Finally one came along and kicked it with his foot without serious results, and then he touched it with his hands. Two minutes later the cars proceeded, and the crowd moved."
June 11, 1914
"Raising Car Tracks - The Portland, Eugene & Eastern today placed a crew of men at work raising the car tracks on Willamette street at Sixth. They have settled at the point where they cross the trunk sewer trench dug last summer. While the men are working on one set of rails, the street cars are routed on the other track, running both ways from Eighth to the station on the same side of the street."
June 23, 1914
Six footed pig owned by W.H. Paslay, living ten miles west of Eugene
June 23, 1914
"Motorist Fined for Speeding - C.B. Daniels, a motor car owner and garage man, made the mistake of attempting to pass a car loaded with the mayor and members of the city council on the road yesterday. He was fined $20 in the police court this morning for speeding on Fifth avenue west."
June 23, 1914
"Warren Company Finishes - The Warren Construction company finished the pavement on Sixth avenue and today finished up on Alder street. It has no more work to do in Eugene at present except for a small amount of repair work to be done on Willamette Street."
June 26, 1914
Fountain there but no water
July 1, 1914
"Place Colors in Streets - The Commercial club this morning placed the red, white and blue bunting on trolley poles and wires in Willamette street in preparation for the Fourth of July."
July 1, 1914
"New Street Lights - The city council at a meeting last night ordered the installation of street lights at the intersection of Twenty-second avenue and Willamette street and Twenty fourth avenue and Willamette street."
July 4, 1914
"Special Street Car Service - Fifteen minute street car service between Eugene and Springfield was maintained today to handle the crowds going back and forth between the two celebrations. The cars were filled all day long both ways. Twenty minute service was maintained on the Fairmount line all day. The cars will run until all the people are home tonight according to the announcement of Superintendent Towner."
July 4, 1914
"Mrs. A. Looney, driving with Mrs. C.C. Dubrill as a companion, crashed into a street car on Willamette street yesterday near Seventh avenue yesterday afternoon. The rear step of the street car was completely torn off, but the motor car and neither occupant was injured. The driver states that she did not see the street car while trying to avoid a collision with another machine. The street car was an extra car running to the race track."
July 6, 1914
"cleaning evidence of the July Fourth celebration off the business streets. The task was a big one...Late Saturday night the crowds amused themselves on Willamette street by firing great strings of small firecrackers, especially between Seventh and Eighth avenues."
July 7, 1914
"All the flags and bunting were removed from Willamette street today, and the last of the stands torn down around the park block."
July 7, 1914
"Last of Gravel Arrives - Ten carloads of gravel came last night for the Portland, Eugene & Eastern and as partly distributed along the street car loop in Fairmount today. It is the last of several thousand yards of gravel which have been shipped from Corvallis during the last few months for ballasting the College Hill and the Fairmount belt lines."
July 11, 1914
To Establish Street Grades - A survey of the entire city to establish street grades wherever not already located will be started at once by the city engineer. He proposes to locate once for all teh grades, and this will make it possible to give accurate sidewalk and street grades by mere reference to the records. At present no grades have been established on a third of the streets in Eugene. With the street grades fully established there will be no danger of misplaced concrete sidewalks when two or more grades come together, as has been found in the past. The work will be started at once. It has been made almost necessary because of the recent action placing the whole city in the cement district."
July 15, 1914
"The Boutin-Parks Lumber company today was awarded the contract for supplying the lumber used in the construction of the nurses' training school at the Mercy hospital and for Construction of the Union Oil company plan west of Eugene. The former job will take over 110,000 feet of lumber."
July 17, 1914
"Lighting Fixtures Installed - Lighting fixtures were installed this morning at the Rainbow, the new confectionary store and bowling alley on Willamette street."
July 18, 1914
"House Plans Commenced - Architect Ormond Bean is working on the plans for a new house to be erected by Alexander Martin, of the Eugene Loan and Savings bank, on the corner of Eighteenth avenue west and Olive street, on the north slope of College Hill. The house will be strictly modern, in an English style."
July 23, 1914
"Building Permits Issued - Stien brothers, contractors obtained a permit for the excavation of the foundations for the new nurses' home to be built at the Mercy hospital. The work has already begun. The permit for the erection of the building was let to Hans Skibinski for $11,700. The excavation permit is for $320."
July 29, 1914
"Old House Has History - The old house at the corner of Sixth and High streets, which is being removed by F.L. Chambers, to make room for a new warehouse, while not a landmark has a history. In the building in the rear, now a warehouse, Eugene's early pumping plant was located up until seven or eight years ago, furnishing Eugene's water supply. The well from which the water was taken, still exists below the platform on the rear of the warehouse, covered up and almost forgotten."
July 31, 1914
"One of the Schmitt brothers' milk wagons crashed into a College Crest street car on Eleventh avenue west last night with the result that the milk wagon, with a considerable number of empty bottles, was damaged. A step was torn off the street car."
August, 1914
Germany Declares War Against Russia
August 1, 1914
Inspection of street car bridge across the Willamette
August 3, 1914
"A crew of ten men commenced tearing up the pavement along the car tracks at Eighth and Willamette streets this morning prepatory to laying the Belgian blocks along the rails."
August 6, 1914
"George Towner, superintendent of the street car system in Eugene"
August 8, 1914
"About 100 loads of dirt from the excavation of the new high school building on College Hill, will be used to fill in the grounds of several of the Eugene public schools, notably Geary school.
August 8, 1914
"The city engineer today surveyed the location of Willamette street across the Southern Pacific freight yards in accordance to the plan recently announced by a resolution of the city council to open Willamette street."
August 10, 1914
"Since May 21, 140 notices have been issued by the street commissioner to property owners that they must replace wooden walks with concrete. Of this number, he states, ninety per cent have acted promptly and without remonstrance."
August 10, 1914
"Two near accidents on Willamette street this morning caused excitement for awhile. About 8:30 o'clock, a lone transient horseman was thrown to the pavement when his mount slipped on the steel rail of the car track. The horseman quickly adjusted the saddle and rode off again."
August 12, 1914
"The street commissioner and his force today commenced to lay a concrete approach to the half o the fire station occupied by the motor truck. The walk had been worn out."
August 13, 1914
"The American Paving company is pouring the concrete foundations for the Alexander Martin residence on College Hill. The Harbor-Sound Investment company is building the house."
August 17, 1914
"Over 400 passengers were carried on the special excursion train from Wendling through Eugene over the Portland, Eugene & Eastern to Newport yesterday. Of this number 100 were from Eugene, 152 from Wendling and the balance from points between Eugene and Corvallis."
August 17, 1914
"The Portland, Eugene & Eastern today finished the construction of a "Y" for turning the new cars which are expected to arrive in Eugene shortly at the carbarns. The loop at the end of Willamette street will be built next."
August 21, 1914
"The Clark & Henery paving plant resumed operations today, the pavement was laid between the rails on Eighth avenue and Willamette streets; and street car service without transfer between the College Crest and the Blair street lines was resumed again."
August 21, 1914
"Using Twenty Men = Twenty men are at work at the head of Willamette street building the loop about the fountain in the station park for the turning of the street cars. Ten additional men were taken on this morning to rush the work. In order that the street about the fountain may be blocked as short a time as possible. In order to make the proper curve it is necessary to cut into the pavement for a considerable distance. The "Y" at the car barns was completed today except for the paving of the street where it was cut. This cannot be done until next Tuesday as the new concrete must have five days in which to set."
August 26, 1914
"the new loop for the turning of the new streetcars at the foot of Willamette will be completed by Saturday."
September 2, 1914
"...whether or not the council is ready this fall to install concrete retaining walls and conduits, for carrying the Amazon under Willamette Street."
September 7, 1914
"The P.E. & E. linemen today strung the trolley wire for the new loop at the Southern Pacific station to turn the new PE&E cars which were expected in Eugene today. The cars are expected over the P.E. & E. on tonight's freight train. It is not known in Eugene whether they are being shipped on their own trucks or not, but it is probably that they will have to be taken to the P.E. & E. car barns and put together before they can be operated here."
September 11, 1914
"Commencing September 15, all cars will stop on the near side of the street to take on and discharge passengers."
September 12, 1914
"New Schedules of Street Cars are Announced - Change to go into effect next Tuesday, when new cars will be placed in service. - College Hill Cars to Run to S.P. Station - To Leave Station at 5 and 35 minutes after hour - Blair cars stop on Willamette."
September 12, 1914
"Horse has Five Feet"
February 5, 1915
"P.E. & E. Looks to Legislature for Protection"
February 16, 1915
"Will Let Bids in Few Days - The water board is completing the plans and specifications of the proposed 2,5000,000 gallon reservoir on College Crest, and expects to be able to call for bids by March 1."
February 26, 1915
"Building permits were issued yesterday to Fred E. Smith, for a garage at 2200 South Willamette street."
February 26, 1915
"C.D. Farmer, street commissioner, yesterday commenced the resurfacing of South Willamette street from the end of the pavement, with fine crushed rock. The work will take several days and will improve the condition of the street."
March 5, 1915
"Another Jitney Bus Started - George H. Gregg is the latest to enter the jitney business in Eugene. He has established a motor line between Eugene and Santa Clara, entering into competition with the Daniel's service."
April 8, 1915
"Car of Ties Unleashed - The Portland, Eugene and Eastern today unloaded a car of 1000 ties which it expects to use in the replacement of worn out ties about Eugene, according to George Towner, superintendent. He also loaded a carload of old ties that had been kept on the P.E. & E. property at Eleventh and Willamette streets and unloaded them at the car barns."
April 14, 1915
"Places Poles at Night Work - The city electric linemen today started the work of erecting poles and wires to carry light to the location of the new reservoir on College Crest. Work on this commenced this morning. As soon as the lights are installed, a double shift is planned."
April 14, 1915
"Fire Engine Soon to be Ready - The city's motor fire truck, the engine of which has been replaced during the past three weeks by a new six-cylinder motor, was placed back in the fire station last night for the first time in six months when the old engine was wrecked by an explosion. It will be several days before it will be in service for the transmission is apparently not in working order, and other small adjustments must be made."
April 16, 1915
"Four Poles to Come Down = Of the eleven or more poles which the Oregon Power company is preparing to remove from Willamette street, four will come off one corner. This is at the corner of Eleventh and Willamette streets, where a joint arrangement has been made with the Portland, Eugene & Eastern for use of a single set of poles. Linemen have been working at the corner of Ninth and Willamette where two poles have been altered."
April 17, 1915
"Will Star Work Monday - George Towner, local superintendent of the Portland, Eugene & Eastern has a crew of men scheduled to begin work Monday morning building a new curve on the College Hill line at Belmont station. This crew will be employed on maintenance work for two months or more."
April 20, 1915
"Night crew Placed at Work - The contractors on the excavation for the new reservoir on College Crest last night placed the first night crew at work. At present two shifts work in the day time, and one at night, and they are so arranged that the excavation is going on at virtually all hours of the day. Electric lights have been strung to the site of the reservoir."
April 23, 1915
"Prepares Paving Plans - The city engineer is preparing plans and specifications for the paving of Sixth avenue west. These will be presented to the city council on Monday night for passage. Bids will probably be called for immediately afterward. The plans specify an inch and a half of asphaltic surface on a concrete base varying from four to five inches in thickness from edges to center. The street will be 38 feet wide."
April 27, 1915
"Neighborhood Club to Meet - The neighborhood club of College Crest plans to meet Thursday afternoon at 2:30 at the home of Mrs. Donald Young."
April 30, 1915
"Gets Contract for Fence - The Gross Brothers foundry, on Eighth avenue east, has been given the contract to erect 600 feet of iron picket fence about the new water board reservoir on College Crest. It will be erected with concrete posts, each of which will have an electric light on the top."
May 1, 1915
"100 Sidewalk Ordinances to Come up Monday - City Declares War on Dangerous Wooden Structures; Concrete will be required. The street committee has declared war on bad sidewalks. Yesterday morning it went out and destroyed three walks in various parts of the city where property owners have neglected to replace dangerous walks. At Monday night's council meeting approximately 100 sidewalk ordinances, the largest number passed at one time, or probably during any one year, will be up for passage...The ordinances as passed will order a concrete sidewalk wherever the street commissioner has condemned a walk and where the property owner has neglected to replace it after due notice."
May 4, 1915
"Tools Finally Arrive - The tools to be used by a maintenance and repair crew on the Eugene street car lines arrived Saturday and George Towner, local superintendent, started work on the College Crest line this morning with a small force."
May 7, 1915
Lusitania sinks
June 7, 1915
"Snowball Was Thirsty - "Snowball", a well-known window cleaner, was very much offended Saturday night when the proprietor of a local confectionary store refused to sell him a soda because he was a negro. The colored "gentleman" protested so strenuously that the soft drink dispenser was obliged to call the police."
June 15, 1915
"Both sidewalks along Willamette street in the business section of the city were measured today for the location of the new lights which will be installed. Measurements were taken for pipes, wires and conduits."
June 22, 1915
Chambers Power company sells the mill race to Eugene Excelsior company and the Eugene Woolen Mills company. "It was built in 1852 by Hilyard Shaw and William Smith. Since then it or parts of the original race has been sold or transferred 130 times."
June 29, 1915
"Run Concrete on Reservoir - Water Users Asked Not to Irrigate Tonight or Tomorrow Night. The contractors at work on the new city reservoir began running concrete today and an appeal was issued to the people of the city not to use the city water for irrigation tonight or tomorrow night, so that as great a flow of water as necessary will be available for the use of the contractors who are working day and night. It is explained by members of the water board that unless the contractors have a continuous flow of water, it will mean a patched job, and, possibly, a leak.
July 1, 1915
"Two Wires to Acme - The Western Union Telegraph company has completed the stringing of two wires from Eugene to Acme along the Willamette Pacific right-of-way. After the Acme bridge is completed these wires will be extended from the Siuslaw toward Coos Bay."
July 1, 1915
"S.P. Organization Changed - All subsidiary lines of the Southern Pacific railroad in Oregon, including the Willamette Pacific and the trunk lines of the Portland, Eugene & Eastern, were taken over today and will hereafter be operated as a part of the Southern Pacific system losing their identity. All accounts of the various roads will be combined at the Southern Pacific offices in Portland."
July 3, 1915
"Workmen Repair Pavement - Workmen started this morning to repair the holes in the pavements, between the street car tracks on Willamette street."
July 7, 1915
"Light Posts to Be Delivered - The Gross Brothers foundry has completed a dozen new light posts to be placed on Willamette street."
July 9, 1915
"Placing Conduits - Workmen laid the conduits on the sidewalks today on parts of Fifth avenue east and Willamette street for the installation of electric lights. A groove was cut in the cement on the sidewalk near the curb, a few weeks ago by workmen, for this purpose."
July 17, 1915
"The first water pumped into the new city reservoir on College Hill yesterday."
July 22, 1915
"The Pacific Telegraph and Telephone company has a crew of twelve men at work building a new toll line between Eugene to Florence. The new wire is being strung on the Western Union telegraph poles along the Willamette Pacific right-of-way."
July 27, 1915
"The College Crest Neighborhood club, an organization of women residing on College Crest, will meet at the home of Mrs. J.T. Friel on Friendly Avenue."
July 29, 1915
"Will Lay Conduits - Cement was cut along the inside of the curbstones on west side of Willamette street, between Eighth and Ninth avenue west, today, for the purpose of laying conduits, in connection with the installation of "white way" lights."
August 6, 1915
"Preparing for Conduits - Concrete curbstones on the east side of Willamette street between Ninth and Tenth avenues were cut today in preparation for planting conduits for street lights."
August 13, 1915
"Eugene Loses Oldest Active Business Man - ...Samson H. Friendly died at 5 o'clock this morning...Mr. Friendly was born in New York city, December 16, 1840, and came west in 1863, locating in California. Two years later he came to Eugene and had been a resident of the city ever since....Mr. Friendly was Mason and a Shriner. He was also a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, having been a charter member of the Eugene lodge."
August 16, 1915
Page 2 has "obituary" and description of "Samson H. Friendly, pioneer merchant"...
September 9, 1915
"Repair Interurban Bridge - A force of twenty men is being employed in repair work on the Southern Pacific Interurban bridge in West Springfield. New bents and caps are being put into the structure."
September 9, 1915
"Resigns Position with S.P. - J.A. Alford, better known as "Tex," has resigned his position with the Southern Pacific company. He had been employed as a conductor on the interurban between Eugene and Springfield."
September 22, 1915
Full page Clark & Henery advertisement "The Following is a List of Some of the Contracts we Have Completed in This City....South Willamette from 13th to Hospital Road."
September 22, 1915
"Five Minute Service - The Southern Pacific street railway lines today inaugurated a five-minute car service to the Lane county fair grounds on a schedule to be maintained all week. Two extra cars have been shipped from Salem to be used in handling the crowd."
September 24, 1915
"Repairing Plant - The Clark & Henery Construction company is repairing its plant at Second avenue west and Jackson street. A new concrete bin is being put in which will make a total of four."

This timeline is developing. Compiled by A.J. Fisher. Updated 10.4.13