Friendly Area Neighborhood Association
Executive Committee Meeting, Washington Park Recreation Center
Date / Time: 12/08/08
Chairs: Carlos Barrera and Bernie Corrigan
Present: Andrew Fisher, Greg Giesy, Amy Henne, Nancy Ellen Locke. Mike Giroux, Mike Howard. Dan Luttner, Rick Grosscup, Rob Tobias
Absent: Dan Vishney, Nancy Classen,
Guests: Barbara Dumesmil. Larry Wikander Don McNaughton, Jeanne Marie Moore
I. PUBLIC INPUT:
1. Larry Wikander –Zoning changes. Has properties on 24th and has applied for a zoning change from R-1 to R-2. Presented background regarding changes to keep the Board informed. Thank you from the Board.
2. Adams School Garden (Barbara Dumesmil) Presented at November’s executive board meeting, Presented proposal for Neighborhood Matching Grant for Adams School Garden. Will now be wheelchair accessible.
a. MOTION: Has met with 4-J. Greg moves that we accept this project as put forth. Carlos seconded. Mike G. asked about fencing which Barbara says will be in Phase II. Summer management remains an issue, as well as long-term management of the project. Motion carries unanimously.
II. SECRETARY’S MINUTES—Amy Henne. Minutes approved. Greg moves to accept. Carlos seconds. Passed with 4 abstentions.
III. TREASURER’S REPORT—Rick Grosscup. Budget presented with figures from the City. Accepted by the Board. Started discussion about budget planning for the remainder of the fiscal year. To be continued.
IV. ON-GOING REPORTS TO FAN BOARD:
1. Neighborhood Leadership Council (NLC). Carlos Barrera & Greg Geisy. Sue Pritchard of Infill Compatibility Standards presented initial report.
2. Neighborhood Empowerment Committee (NEI). Bernie Corrigan. 2009 summit is being planned. Registration forms will be put out. Addressing organizational issues related empowerment of Neighborhood Organizations. Goal is to get neighborhoods and the City communicating more effectively.
3. Willamette Street UPDATE. Greg Geisy.
4. Fillmore UPDATE. Nancy Ellen Locke. Issues related to stalling in different neighborhoods. Did not get the money for the bike path in Westmoreland. Going back next year to get the funds. Many City projects have been impacted financially by the budget demands incurred with the Olympic Trials held summer of 08.
5. Eugene Neighbors, Inc. (ENI) Matt Luttner and Greg Geisy. Matt agreed to become the primary contact for this organization and Greg will be the alternate.
6. FAN-CH (Friendly Area Neighborhood-College Hill). Rick Grosscup. Working with EWEB designing the ADA accessible path to the top of College Hill Reservoir. Proceeding with research on cost estimates for building and design improvements.
7. FRIENDLY PARK. Greg Geisy & Nancy Ellen Locke. Camas got planted. A bit of a run-around related to planting. Mike Howard offered to run interference when City boondoggles are encountered. Directions have been found for the adult stretch equipment. Trying to close out the Grant by 12-31-08. Working hard with the City to accomplish this.
8. FAN NEWSLETTER. Andrew Fisher. Neighborhoods are required to put together 2 mailings a year. Winter edition set to come out 15th of January. Final deadline of January 1 for articles.
a. MOTION: Made by Bernie Corrigan. The FAN Exec Board is in favor of sponsorship (advertising) both in the FAN newsletter and on the FAN website. Seconded by Rick G. and passed with no objections by the Board.
9. SAVE CIVIC STADIUM. Nancy Classen. No report.
10. SIDEWALK INFILL. Carlos Barrera. There is no procedure for a private entity coming in and doing a public improvement job. Focus now is getting an engineer to do a report. Brad Meyer is a possibility. Only 2 objections so far. One is starting to come around. Positive response so far from most neighbors.
1. Election of Executive Board Officers—The slate of officers approved unanimously:
i. Carlos Barrera – co-chair
ii. Bernie Corrigan – co-chair
iii. Amy Henne – secretary
iv. Rick Grosscup – treasurer
v. Bernie Corrigan added as 3rd signer to the FAN checking account, 2 signatures needed for each check.
2. FY 2009 Budget (spreadsheet from the City)—reviewed and approved. On-going discussion and planning for the remainder of 2008-09 fiscal year.
3. January General Meeting—Discussion related to who should be invited to the General meeting. Suggestions included City Council member, George Brown, EWEB-representative, City Manager, and discussion of sidewalk infill project by Carlos.
4. FAN web site. Andrew Fisher, Mike Giroux and Amy Henne—Current web service expires January 1, 2009. Hosted at mac.com and costing $100 per year. Don McNaughton has been generously donating this payment for the last 10 years. Need for more easily remembered URL and better interface between FAN newsletter and website.
i. MOTION: Rob moves to approve the cost of $150 to register name and secure web hosting. and to approve the actual web site name over email. Rick seconds. Carries unanimously.
MEETING ADJOURNED AT 9:05 pm.
Meetings are held the second Monday of the month at the Washington Park Recreation Center, 2025 Washington Street, Eugene. OR. The public is invited to attend.
Respectfully submitted: Amy Henne, Board Secretary