A couple community-oriented destinations on South Willamette were the Young Women's League at 2606 Willamette and the Dunn School at 3411 Willamette.
- Conclusion:Many of the goods and services apparent along South Willamette in the mid century are similar to those we see today; grocery stores, gas stations, retail stores, dining establishment, and other small businesses. Today
Residential in-fill over the past 50 years has left very few undeveloped lots in the area. The population of Eugene in 2010 was about 156,000. The city limits today along Willamette Street ends near the intersection with 52nd Ave. It's estimated that over the next 20 years an additional 34,000 people may move to Eugene.Sources
Landscape Change in South Eugene, Oregon, 19th & 20th Centuries (2010) by Alvin W. Urquhart
South Willamette's "Gut" Exposed - Eugene, OR by Greg Giesy, Friendly Area Neighbors Board member and longtime resident. Originally printed in the Summer 2011 edition of the Friendly Area Neighborhood Newsletter.http://www.friendlyareaneighbors.org/archive_docs/thegut.html
Transportation to College Crest in 1918 by Roger Houglum. Reprinted with permission from the Crest Drive Citizens Association Newsletter around 1988 (exact year of initial publication unknown).
Friendly Neighborhood Street Map with Historic Features, Friendly Area Neighborhood Newsletter, Winter Issue, January 2009.
Timeline of Eugene and College Hill History, Eugene Downtown Core Area Historic Context Statement Planning and Development Department, City of Eugene - November 1991.
Conversation with Scott Landsfield, owner of Tsunmai Books, on February 24th, 2013: "Tsunami building built in 1949, was a dry cleaner and venetian blind store before, the connecting building was an insurance agency office and the end of the pavement was near 27th avenue for a while. the location of Skopil's Cleaners was once a livery stables and people could rent horses and ride south to the butte. The Gut was a popular draw to young people as far as Seattle to the north and Los Angeles to the south from the 1950's until it got bad in 1987".